1. Introduction to the course
To create an engineering graduate who can bridge engineering with life sciences in the service of human health and signify the biotechnology profession with distinction this course has been designed. This course also gives a better understanding of applied biology through engineering concepts and for utilizing the complex organization of life systems in developing new technologies.
A candidate who want to make a career in such an interdisciplinary field should study this course.
There are huge demands in various industrial sectors such as food and beverage, biological products, medicines, pharmaceuticals, agriculture, animal husbandry, nutrition, tissue culture and environmental conservation. Most of the work done by professionals engaged in Biotechnology is concerned with industrial research and development in various laboratories.
2. What are the learning outcomes?
The fundamental aim is to instil a passion for learning, scientific discovery, innovation, entrepreneurial skills in an engineering graduate who, through this program will be able to–
- Continue to utilize and enhance their technology and biological study to solve problems related to health and healthcare that are globally relevant and based on ethically sound principles.
- To design, perform, and analyse results of experiments using basic molecular biology methodologies and recombinant DNA techniques, including agarose and polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, and PCR.
- To design an in-silico model which simulates the molecular structure for analysis
- Demonstrate leadership in their respective careers in this engineering or interrelated areas of industry, government, academia, and clinical practice, and
- Engage in life-long learning by continuing their education in graduate or professional school or through opportunities for advanced career or professional training.
3. Subjects covered:
Course Structure of Minor in Bio-Technology
|S. No||Semester||Course Title||L||T||P||Contact|
|2.||III||Basic Biotechnology LAB||0||0||2||2||1|
|3.||IV||Fundamentals of Molecular Biology & Recombinant DNA Technology||3||0||0||3||3|
|4.||IV||Molecular Biology & Recombinant DNA Technology LAB||0||0||2||2||1|
a. Basic Biotechnology
b. Fundamentals of Molecular Biology & Recombinant DNA Technology
d. Bioprocess Engineering
Lab Infrastructure (if applicable):
- Basic Biotechnology LAB
- Molecular Biology & Recombinant DNA Technology LAB
- Bioinformatics LAB
5. Internships/Project work
- The internship is to be carried out at the end of 6th semester of study.
- The candidates are selected for internship by a campus selection process.
- Internship helps students to build field knowledge and to understand the flow of work in the industry.
- Students have to complete “Avant – Garde Projects” from 1st Semester to 5th Semester to generate skills in engineering from the beginning of study.
- Student also has to complete a major project at final year which leads to the partial fulfilment of the degree.
- These processes of learning will enhance student’s motivation towards the course and career.
- Some previous internship done by students are:
- Indian Statistical Institute
- Tata Steel
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC)
- Scope Telecom
- Kreeti technologies
6. Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
- Healthcare products, and cosmetics industries are some other sectors which also offer ample opportunities for qualified and skilled Biotech professionals.
- Career opportunities in the field are numerous and include positions like medical researcher, database manager or software developer. A graduate degree can land you up with the best jobs in this highly competitive segment. Job responsibilities include designing and manipulating complex databases, creating web-based analytical tools and algorithms or developing new software for project and research needs. Compensation is generally handsome.After this course students can choose to study post-graduation in engineering/technology (M.E./M.TECH) or in management (MBA).
- Besides, engineering graduates in this spcialization has a very good research scope which leads to a doctoral degree (Ph.D.).
- For better career opportunities and training Adamas University has Career Development Cell (CDC) who administer all placement and training related issue. Various seminars and lectures series are organized by CDC to update students about present technology, trend, markets, and opportunities.
A candidate must secure 50% Overall in 10+2 having Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics at 10+2 level from any recognized Board/Council/University.