The modern civilization is now struggling with the problems of high build-up of waste and its impact on the immediate and global environment. In the present scenario, smart handling of waste is the major key factor which includes processing and recycling using the latest technology.
What is Waste?
- Any material which is not needed by the owner, producer or processor is waste. Generally, waste is defined as at the end of the product life cycle and is disposed of in landfills.
- The solid & liquid wastes would be handled for the protection of environment through effective waste management techniques to protect health, well-being and environment to prevent pollution which would be environmentally benign.
Most businesses define waste as “anything that does not create value” (BSR, 2010).
In a common man’s eye anything that is unwanted or not useful is garbage or waste. However scientifically speaking there is no waste as such in the world.
Major Issue: Like any other country, waste management is a pressing issue in India, especially with the unceasing growth of consumerism throughout the nation. Interestingly, almost 60 per cent of the total plastic waste generated in India gets recycled while the remaining escapes into the environment. However, most of this plastic is down-cycled. At this juncture, India needs robust and stringent waste management tools to substantially improve the situation.
So, based on the concerned things and respect to the Government’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, SOET is taking an initiative to create a Waste to Wealth center in the campus where students get involved in various projects.
Plan of Action:
Action taken up: 03 Nos. Projects
- Use of Waste Plastic for Eco-friendly and Sustainable Construction Material.
- Recycling of Waste Floral – An Effective Step towards the Green Future.
- Reuse of grey water produced from Adamas University main canteen.
Action to be taken up: 02 Nos. Projects
- Extraction of Cellulose from Cow Dung for producing paper.
- Preparation of organic fertilizer from kitchen wastes from Adamas University main canteen.